Los Gigantes, a resort town located on the west coast of Tenerife, is a destination that often gets overlooked by tourists. It’s time to change that. Known for its massive cliffs (after which it is named), crystal-clear waters, and relaxed vibe, Los Gigantes is a holiday paradise waiting to be explored.
The Scenic Los Gigantes Cliffs
These awe-inspiring cliffs, standing up to 800 meters tall, are the most iconic attraction in town. The view from the sea level of these ancient geological formations against the backdrop of the Atlantic is something you won’t easily forget.
Los Gigantes Marina: A Boater’s Paradise
The marina, surrounded by a dramatic landscape and filled with sleek yachts and sailboats, is a boater’s dream come true. How about a sunset cruise to wrap up your day?
Exciting Activities in Los Gigantes
Whale and Dolphin Watching
The waters around Los Gigantes are rich in marine life, and whale and dolphin watching tours are a must-do. Can you imagine the thrill of spotting a playful pod in their natural habitat?
Sea kayaking is another way to experience the ocean’s beauty. Paddle along the coastline, explore secluded bays, and feel the exhilarating freedom of the open sea.
Exploring the Masca Valley
Fancy a change of pace? Take a hike through the stunning Masca Valley. This adventure, through one of Tenerife’s most spectacular landscapes, ends with a boat ride back to Los Gigantes, showcasing the cliffs from a new perspective.
Gastronomy in Los Gigantes
The Local Cuisine
Tenerife’s cuisine is a delightful fusion of Spanish, African, and Latin American flavors. Don’t miss out on “papas arrugadas” (wrinkly potatoes), a local staple served with a spicy “mojo” sauce.
Los Gigantes boasts an array of dining options. The picturesque marina houses several restaurants serving everything from fresh seafood to international cuisine.
Accommodation Options in Los Gigantes
For those seeking luxury, the town offers resorts complete with spa facilities, sea-view rooms, and exceptional service.
Budget travelers can find numerous guesthouses and self-catering apartments that provide a homely atmosphere without breaking the bank.
Useful Tips for Visiting Los Gigantes
Best Time to Visit
The climate here is pleasant year-round, but if you want to avoid the crowds, consider visiting in spring or autumn.
While Los Gigantes is walkable, renting a car can be beneficial for exploring farther afield on the island.
tTenerife is known for its beautiful beaches, offering a mix of natural and man-made sandy shores. Here are some of the best beaches in Tenerife:
|Playa de las Teresitas||San Andrés||Famous for its golden sand and palm trees.|
|Playa de los Gigantes||Near Los Gigantes cliffs||Small beach with stunning views and clear waters.|
Los Gigantes, with its breathtaking cliffs, abundant marine life, delicious cuisine, and comfortable accommodations, is a hidden treasure on the island of Tenerife. If you’re looking for a destination that combines natural beauty with leisure and adventure, look no further.
- Is Los Gigantes suitable for families? Yes, Los Gigantes is a family-friendly destination with plenty of activities suitable for children and adults alike.
- What are some other nearby attractions? The Teide National Park, home to Spain’s highest peak, and the resort town of Playa de Las Américas are within easy driving distance.
- Do I need to know Spanish to visit Los Gigantes? While it’s always beneficial to know some local phrases, most people in the tourist industry speak English.
- Is Los Gigantes busy? Los Gigantes is generally less crowded than other resorts on the island, making it a great choice for a peaceful getaway.
- What’s the best way to experience the Los Gigantes cliffs? A boat tour is arguably the best way to appreciate the enormity and beauty of these natural wonders.